Monday, November 7, 2011

Closet Door Headboard ::: Elizabeth

So we've lived in our house for over 7 years now and have never closed our closet door. I needed to remove it in order to move furniture around my bedroom. I hate to throw things away so I started hunting and decided to make it into the headboard I never had (for the last 7 years).




So here it is in Melissa's garage getting ready and still painted a khaki color.

I decided to strip the paint off and we tried scraping it off with paint scrapers and then tried an environment friendly paint stripper which did not work.
 It then dawned on us that the other side of the door was unpainted. Whoops.
 I purchased a 1x4x7 board and a piece of crown molding at Home Depot. Our idea was to make the top side of the headboard decorative. If you've never cut crown molding - please youtube it - it's NOT easy.
After it was assembled I primed it and painted it with two coats of white paint.
After it dried, I screwed a french cleat to the back of the door and on the wall above my bed and hung it up. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment