Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIY Stocking Holder ::: Elizabeth

I have been looking for some cute stocking holders for my fireplace for 2 years or so - and you guessed it - I couldn't find anything under $80 brand new. So this year I started searching for DIY projects. I found this one on Cinaberry Street and decided to make my own.




Here's what you will need to make the photo frame stocking holder above:

Old stocking holder with the heavy base and hanger (I found old brass letter hangers at a local thrift store for $0.98 each)
Small photo frames (I found the cute red ones at Joanns for 2/$5)
Krylon Oil-rubbed bronze spray paint ($4.99 with 50% coupon at Joanns)
8.5x11 sheet of black felt
Screwdriver
Drill with small drill bit (don't be afraid - it's easy!)

Here's what I started out with...
I turned it over and peeled off the old felt liner on the bottom. If you can peel it off in one piece you can reuse it but all of mine tore so I made new felt liners.
Then I took the screw out of the bottom of the weight (shown above).
Now you have two pieces. There are two more screws holding the letter on - I took them out as well.
I then took the base plate with the hook and roughed it up with sand paper - then took it outside and spray painted them in an old diaper box.
While I waited for the paint to dry (about 20 minutes) I cut new liners out of the new felt. I just used an old one as a template (the old one is on the left).
After the base plates were dry, I placed the frame on the plate and marked with a marker where the screw holes line up on the frame and then my gracious hubby pre-drilled the holes into the frame for me.
Then we used screw and the original holes to attach the frames to the base plate. Then I screwed the weight back in and placed the felt back on. The weights were still sticky so I didn't have to use adhesive.
Just add photos of your family and that's it - the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment